Real Media Text Essay

"Explain how significant were the Conventions of Real Media Texts in your development of creativity across your 2 years of production work."

During the course of the 2 years, conventions have been very important to understand. Conventions are like the ingredients, we follow them to recognize the work. They can also be broken, if broken well it can turn out good. They may be broken to expand and enhance the creativity of the individual. They may be tired of using the same old conventions, so by mixing it up, it adds spice. Also, to break conventions there has to be an understanding of the purpose of them. For example, in my AS magazine, I was making a Rock magazine. For the dominant image I used, it connotes various meanings, one of them was to have someone wear dark clothing, typically a leather jacket. There is meaning to why they wear a leather jacket, to show that they are rebellious. As I understood this convention, I decided to use it. Also, as the background of my image, I used a rocky wall, to show decay and some sort of disaster. Conventions have rules, and with my magazine, it is instantly recognizable as a rock magazine, because of the conventions I used. If I didn't use any of the conventions and labeled it rock, it would not have been recognized and rock fans may not like it. The audience of such media, require conventions to be similar throughout. This way, they can enjoy it. If it is something unfamiliar to them, they may not find an interest. People are most likely to choose familiar things in life. But breaking conventions can bring  an audience together, if you were to create a hybrid magazine, like rock and hip-hop. Some may not like it, some may. Although, originality is limited by sticking entirely to conventions. Which is why conventions are broken many times, to somewhat be more original.

In my AS Magazine, I had to make sure I knew the conventions of a rock magazine and a magazine in general, in order to make it successful. On my masthead, I used a font that connoted carnage in a way. As you can see the masthead, it looks teared and crumbled all over. This was the certain effect that I was going for. As for the colors used, I chose the following: Yellow, White & Black. I chose yellow as it connotes warning, with rock star's, they tend to be outrages, so with the use of yellow, it acts as a warning to the reader. With my magazine, I had to take care with lighting. Because in typical rock magazines, you see the everything, it is usually bright, with many colors. As you can see my full magazine front cover, It captures the eye. I had to make sure the background and the subject was lit. To light up the background, I used 135 watt soft box lighting kit. And for the subject I distanced the key light a couple meters away, so that it lights the subject sufficiently. I had to look at examples of previous rock magazines. One magazine I looked at was the Kerrang issued one. 


I looked at this one specifically, this gave me some inspiration, on how much should be on the page. As I saw, the dominant image is really dominant, along with the text. The moodboard used there is mainly with colors, pink, white & black. It also shows the magazine was leaning more towards the feminist side there also. For my magazine I didn't want to do that, I wanted the female to have somewhat masculine characteristics, In my magazine, the female model is looking directly at the camera and looks intermediating. Which is typical for a rock magazine to do, but with a male instead of a female. So what I done, was subvert this typical view and used a female.

During the beginning of year 13, we had a task to produce a film teaser trailer. The genre was horror, and we were taught and had to do some research of horror conventions. We identified conventions such as the setting, iconography and character types. As for the trailer itself, we found that a typical teaser trailer will contain, texture shots, which usually last from around 2 - 3 seconds each. Texture shots are the first part of the trailer, it then builds up to the disequilibrium, where things get haywire. Then the montage. Typically at the end of the trailer, you tend to get a jump scare. Having a solid understanding of this, has enabled us to re-create a trailer according to what fans of the genre of horror will like. Also, with the sound design, we understand that there is always something going on, so when creating the sound, we used a minimum of five layers of sound throughout the track. This helped, as there wasn't any awkward silences. One of the trailers I looked at as an example was the conjuring 2 teaser trailer. This helped influence our trailer in a way, as it included the conventions a trailer includes.

I feel that I've developed as a  creative producer throughout these two years. The one thing that helped, was understanding conventions. Whilst looking at previous examples and understanding why each thing was used, has opened a new door to creativity. As conventions have purposes. When I first started the course, I didn't fully understand each convention, but as I now know more about the conventions, I can now use them in a way, to be more creative. I'm also able to break conventions and understand why. Although some may believe that my creativity has been limited, I believe that it has been expanded, I've seen many media examples, which I can now incorporate in my production. This is known as bricolage, re-imagining the old and making it new. This has endless possibilities, as it actually makes a new, unique product, making it creative.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Analysis of existing Horror Trailers

5 Paragraph Essay | Genre Theorists

Audience Theory Essay